Susan G. Komen “Race for the Cure”: More than a Fundraiser for Breast Cancer

Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Breast Cancer Prevention and other Breast Cancer topics.

Why do people participate in “Race for the Cure?”

Susan G. Komen “Race for the Cure”: More than a Fundraiser for Breast Cancer

Over 1 million people are expected to participate in this year's Susan G. Komen “Race for the Cure” (www.komen.org). This race is “the largest series of 5K runs/fitness walks in the world.” At least 25% of the funds raised in a local race goes towards funding breast cancer research with the remaining 75% staying in the local community to fight breast cancer. After Kristin Hauge, 22, participated in her second Race Day in Indianapolis, Indiana, she said, “It was cool to be among 40,000 people with positive energy, celebrating life.” Kristin, whose maternal grandmother and mother are both breast cancer survivors added, “It was a chance to honor my family members, and a chance for me, personally, to help raise money for a cure.” Kristin's grandmother, Dorothy Gambrel, said, “I walked in the race the first year after my diagnosis. It's hard to describe the feeling of being there among all of those survivors. People were on the sidelines cheering for us. It was overwhelming . . . and it gave me hope.” Race for the Cure is more than a race to raise funds for breast cancer, it's an opportunity for those affected by breast cancer to meet for support, strength and to celebrate life.

   

Comments

Nobody has commented on this tip yet. Be the first.



Name:


URL: (optional)


Comment:


Not finding the advice and tips you need on this Breast Cancer Tip Site? Request a Tip Now!


Guru Spotlight
Phyllis Serbes